CANTON, Ohio (AP) — A woman who padlocked a 7-year-old girl in a dog cage in the basement of an Ohio home has been sentenced to three years in prison.
A judge imposed the sentence Monday after 29-year-old Lillian Cottrell, of Canton, pleaded guilty to child endangerment.
Her 30-year-old boyfriend, Derek Mayle, of Canton, faces the same charge and is scheduled to stand trial in March.
Stark County prosecutors have said the couple tortured the girl over the course of seven months last year and kept her padlocked in the cage at times as punishment. When she was removed from the home by child welfare officials, she weighed 28 pounds.
READ MORE FOX8.COM HEADLINES, BELOW:
- Police: Truck with 100 monkeys crashes, some of them missing
- March for Life: Thousands gather in DC gather with renewed hope about abortion laws
- Big tech: Next target of D.C. lawmakers
- Preteens could be vaccinated without parents’ consent under California bill
- Teen petitions NFL to move day Super Bowl is played