CANTON, Ohio (AP) — A woman who padlocked a 7-year-old girl in a dog cage in the basement of an Ohio home has been sentenced to three years in prison.
A judge imposed the sentence Monday after 29-year-old Lillian Cottrell, of Canton, pleaded guilty to child endangerment.
Her 30-year-old boyfriend, Derek Mayle, of Canton, faces the same charge and is scheduled to stand trial in March.
Stark County prosecutors have said the couple tortured the girl over the course of seven months last year and kept her padlocked in the cage at times as punishment. When she was removed from the home by child welfare officials, she weighed 28 pounds.
READ MORE FOX8.COM HEADLINES, BELOW:
- Paycheck Fairness Act passes in House, faces uphill battle in Senate
- Portage County officials make 9 arrests in task force operation
- Cleveland Browns release Sheldon Richardson
- Lakewood mayor calls safety “biggest issue” after string of gun violence
- NYPD: Ohio man with assault rifle arrested in Times Square subway station