CANTON, Ohio (AP) — A woman who padlocked a 7-year-old girl in a dog cage in the basement of an Ohio home has been sentenced to three years in prison.
A judge imposed the sentence Monday after 29-year-old Lillian Cottrell, of Canton, pleaded guilty to child endangerment.
Her 30-year-old boyfriend, Derek Mayle, of Canton, faces the same charge and is scheduled to stand trial in March.
Stark County prosecutors have said the couple tortured the girl over the course of seven months last year and kept her padlocked in the cage at times as punishment. When she was removed from the home by child welfare officials, she weighed 28 pounds.
READ MORE FOX8.COM HEADLINES, BELOW:
- ‘Deserves to be shot’: IN man accused of showing up to Taylor Swift’s home, stalking
- Follow the journey: Woman walks across Ohio supporting nonprofit, mental health
- Dems accuse GOP’s FBI witness of lying to Congress, refer matter to Garland
- Judge orders village known for traffic camera fines to pay up: I-Team
- Ohio ‘anti-gay’ bill amended to allow parents to opt students out of ‘sexuality content’