NEW YORK (AP) — The Uncle Ben’s rice brand is changing its name to Ben’s Original.
Parent company Mars Inc. is the latest company to drop a logo criticized as a racial stereotype.
Mars said the Ben’s Original packaging will hit stores in 2021.
Since the 1940s, the rice boxes have featured a white-haired Black man, sometimes with a bowtie.
Critics have said the image evoke servitude.
Global President for Mars Food Fiona Dawson says the company is still deciding on an image to accompany the new name.
Pressure on brands to retire racial imagery have intensified amid the Black Lives Matter protests over police killings of unarmed African Americans.
Here are the latest headlines from FOX 8
- Human smuggling investigation underway after semitruck hits SUV carrying 25 people, killing 13
- Cleveland’s Own Dr. Oz saves man’s life at the airport
- ‘His violations are among the worst’: Man loses hunting privileges for life in 48 states after poaching spree
- Fleeing driver flips off of ramp in Brunswick
- 10 rockets target base with U.S. troops in Iraq