SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom has approved legislation prompted by the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and eight others.
The bill signed Monday makes it a crime for first responders to take unauthorized photos of deceased people at the scene of an accident or crime. Reports surfaced after the January crash that graphic photos of the victims were being shared by eight deputies.
Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said the department has a policy against taking and sharing crime scene photos, but it does not apply to accident scenes.
The latest headlines from FOX8.com:
- Rosario has pinch single in 10th, Guardians beat Rays 2-1
- Hurricane Ian, now Category 2, moves inland after devastating southwest Florida
- Tampa Bay goes dry after Ian pushes water out toward Gulf
- Tampa Bay Rays in town facing Guardians, but thinking of families amid hurricane
- Marjorie Taylor Greene’s husband files for divorce