CINCINNATI (AP) — The mother of a 6-year-old boy who accidentally shot himself in his family’s Cincinnati home while she slept has been charged with felony child endangerment.
Darnasia McKinney, 26, also faces a charge of receiving stolen property stemming from Thursday’s shooting. She was scheduled to make her initial court appearance Friday, and it wasn’t known if she’s retained an attorney.
Authorities said the boy found the gun, which was unsecured and unattended, and “injured himself with it.” He was taken to a hospital, but further details on his injuries and condition were not disclosed.
Police said they recovered a stolen 9 mm handgun, but have not said if this weapon was the one used by the child.
Read the latest headlines on FOX8.com below:
- Ravens-Steelers game moved from Thursday night to Sunday
- Charges pending after woman sets hotel dumpster fire to get rid of ‘snakes’, Westlake police report
- 100-year-old nun known for praying for all at St. Vincent Charity Medical Center contracts COVID-19
- Ohio coronavirus numbers: 10,835 new cases, 156 new deaths reported
- Beachwood Place puts new security measure in place to detect weapons