Medical Examiner rules pneumonia killed 2-month-old who died after stay at Cleveland day care

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The Cuyahoga County medical examiner determined two-month-old Di’Yanni Griffin died of pneumonia.

In June, the baby’s mother, Taylor Bush, said the infant was “lifeless” when she picked her up from daycare. Di’Yanni was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Months later, Nana’s Home Daycare in Cleveland remains closed; the daycare owner says she did nothing wrong.

“The whole situation is sad because my thought is the baby is sick,” said Danielle Townsend, who operated Nana’s Daycare. “I didn’t never harm or neglect her child. I would never do that to anyone child.”

The attorney for the Bush family says they are waiting for the full autopsy report to be released by the medical examiner to better determine the events leading up to Di’Yanni’s death.

“Our civil investigation into this matter will not be combined to the intentional acts of those parties but we will look at wherever they could have or should have done something differently to prevent this terrible loss of a child,” explained Bush’s attorney, Eric Henry of the Henry Law Firm.

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services suspended the license of Nana’s Home Day Care on June 24.
Tuesday, a spokesperson for the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services released the following statement:

“Our inspections revealed 22 code violations by the home-based child care facility, including failing to report a serious incident to our agency and that the facility was caring for more children than approved for its license. Because we take the safety of children seriously, the facility’s license was revoked.”

The infant’s mother said when she picked up her child from the daycare, she realized her baby needed immediate medical attention.

According to Bush, she went back inside the daycare, began CPR on the baby and called 911. She said they were taken by ambulance to the hospital where Di’Yanni was pronounced dead.

“When you handed me my daughter, my daughter was basically already dead,” said Bush.

“The family is relieved by the preliminary indication that Di’Yanni did not die from an intentional act from a worker at that daycare,” said Henry.

He adds there were not signs of the baby being sick prior to being dropped off at daycare.

“It’s a heartbreaking situation. I can’t do nothing; I can’t pay my bills, anything. I don’t have a business no more,” said Townsend, who owned Nana’s Daycare.

Continuing coverage here.

Around the Buckeye State

More Ohio News
FOX 8 Cleveland Weather // Quick Links:

Hot on FOX 8

More Viral