This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MANSFIELD, Ohio– BCI agents are investigating the death of a man in Mansfield. Police said just after 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, an employee of the Volunteers of America facility on North Main St. called 911 requesting help with a combative resident. Police said the V.O.A. houses offenders transitioning from prison.

According to a press release from Mansfield Police Chief Kenneth Coontz, the staff member stated: “He is having a bad reaction to something and he is swinging on people and we can’t control him. He is punching the wall right now. We need someone as soon as you can get them.”

Police said they arrived to find the man, identified as Terrance Moxley, 29, displaying violent behavior. He was reportedly slamming a door well over 200 times, causing a clock and a fire extinguisher to fall off the wall. According to the press release, Moxley also broke the window out of the door and damaged the steel frame. About 15 people were evacuated from the room.

Moxley calmed down enough to be handcuffed and checked out by medical personnel, who then reported to police that Moxley was displaying abnormal behavior while talking incoherently and making strange noises. Moxley was carried to a cruiser, when police said he refused to walk, to be transported to the hospital for treatment.

According to the press release, Moxley became combative while resisting and trying to break free from the officer’s grip, and tried to bite the officers, who were not able to get him into the cruiser. Police said officers tased Moxley to gain control of him; two taser cartridges were used and one officer was accidentally tased during the struggle. Police also said it appears that at some point, Moxley broke free from the handcuffs and officers wrestled with him to regain control of him.

Officers noticed Moxley was in medical distress and police said he was taken to OhioHealth MedCentral Hospital in Mansfield. He was later pronounced dead.

According to Chief Coontz, all officers at the scene of the incident were placed on administrative leave, per Mansfield police policy. Coontz identified the officers on leave as Ptl. Shane Gearhart; Ptl. Paul Webb; Ptl. Steven Hornback; Ptl. James Reed; and Ptl. Orlando Chatman.

Stay with FOX 8 News and for new information.