MANSFIELD, Ohio -- A local family is thankful everyone survived a house fire last week that almost took the life of a small child.
The home on Dunbilt Court is badly damaged following the Wednesday fire. It started in a back bedroom around 7 a.m. while a baby was asleep in a nearby crib.
"I'm just laying there, lightly sleeping, listening for her and I could hear the flames in the other room," said Jason Hood, a family friend who was home alone with two-month-old Tamryn. "It was the sound of the wood just burning. Just unreal, and I opened up my eyes, and the whole room was engulfed in flames."
Hood immediately ran into the baby's room where he rescued Tamryn from the approaching fire.
"In the crib, all by herself, she was laughing and giggling when I got to her," said Hood. "All around her crib, there was like a small area that was around her with no flames, no smoke, there was nothing. It was just an area that, I'm just glad she's alive, me and her both."
Hood managed to grab the baby and run back through the fire and out of the house.
No one was injured.
"The flames and the temperature was so hot, it melted blinds in the other room. That's how hot it was in there," said Hood.
Fire investigators recovered remnants of a space heater that was being used in the child's bedroom. According to the incident report from the Mansfield Fire Department, it was taken from the scene for further analysis.
"There's nothing basically left on the inside of it," said Tamryn's grandmother, Jacqueline Davis. "There's no bedroom, absolutely nothing. There's nothing in it. The whole rest of the house, the walls used to be white, they're black as can be."
Davis works an overnight shift and was returning home when she saw the emergency personnel outside her house.
"Gotta find another place to live, one way or another," said Davis. "Can't go back to that house. It will be a long time before it ever gets repaired."
According to Davis, Hood is a hero who she'll never be able to repay for saving the life of her grandchild.
"I'm very thankful," she said. "I think there was an angel looking after them both. I don't know too many people who would run into a fire to save somebody."
The family is receiving temporary assistance from the American Red Cross. Donations can be made by contacting the Richland County Chapter at 419-524-0311.