Slain Pregnant Teen Remembered

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.
AKRON, Ohio -- More than 100 friends and relatives gathered for a candlelight vigil Monday night, in front of the home where two teenagers were shot early Sunday morning.
David Stoddard, 24, of Barberton, pleaded not guilty on Monday to charges of aggravated murder, attempted murder and felonious assault in connection with the shootings.

The Summit County Medical Examiner on Monday identified the 16-year-old victim of that shooting as Anna Karam who they confirm was also pregnant.

Karam was dead at the scene of the East Archwood Avenue home.

"I'm just trying to do the best I can to stay strong, it's great to see everybody out here supporting me. My sister was a good person. Everybody loved her," said Tyler Karam, Anna's brother.

Jessica Halman was also shot. She was transported to Akron General Hospital.

Jessica's cousin, Paul King, visited her at the hospital. "I was up there. I seen her. She sat up. She moved around. She remembers everything that happened. She told me about what happened. She said David did it. He did it, and she'll make, she's strong, she'll make it," he said.

Both had suffered a gunshot wound to the head, according to a release from the medical examiner's office.

Stoddard is accused of going to the home where he was let in through a rear sliding glass door.

Police say he was acquainted with the victims, but their exact relationship was not known.

Investigators believe he went to the address looking for an ex-girlfriend who was not there at the time.

Ephram Risten, the father of that girlfriend, told FOX 8 that Stoddard called his daughter after the shooting and left an angry message on her phone.

"He just called her and said I loved you. You did this," said Risten, who also said the message concluded with a dark warning.

"You're next. I'm coming after all of you," concluded the message, according to Risten.

Stoddard was arrested in Wadsworth after police located his car at the Legacy Inn.

Wadsworth police maintained a watch over the room until a Medina County SWAT team was able to enter and get Stoddard in custody without incident on Sunday.

Police records reveal Stoddard had a .40 caliber handgun with him when he was arrested.

In court on Monday it was revealed that Stoddard has a pending firearms charge in Summit County.

Court records revealed he was arrested on a concealed weapons charge in November and was free on a $10,000 bond.

Judge Judith Hunter revoked that bond following Stoddard's arrest on Sunday.

A Summit County Magistrate on Monday set a $250 thousand cash bond on the murder and attempted murder charges but told Stoddard that it wouldn't matter if he could pay it; he could not get out of jail because of the bond being revoked on his earlier charge.

Stoddard did not say anything at his arraignment other than to answer "yes, your honor" to the magistrate as she explained what was happening in court.

Around the Buckeye State

More Ohio News
FOX 8 Cleveland Weather // Quick Links:

Hot on FOX 8

More Viral