According to Chief Shane Thomas of the Carrollton Fire Department, the fire killed 18-year-old Aiden McNutt.
It happened around 11:30 p.m., the fire chief said.
Firefighters responded to an emergency call at the corner of Andora and Rush roads.
When firefighters arrived, the chief said the home was already engulfed.
According to the fire chief, the family had lit a fire in the wood-burning stove and retired for the night.
The father was awakened by the smell of smoke. The parents, whose bedroom was in a lower level of the home, quickly made their way to the first floor and called for Aiden — whose bedroom was on the second floor — to escape through a window. At that time, flames had engulfed the path of escape from the second to the first floor.
Aiden was unable to escape and lost his life in the fire.
“There’s no way to tell at this point what was going on — why he couldn’t get to the window,” said Thomas. “The heat and smoke moved through the house very fast.
“There’ll never be a true understanding of why he couldn’t get to the window.”
In the minutes before firefighters arrived, Aiden’s mother tried to re-enter the home but was pulled back by sheriff’s deputies, according to Thomas.
His mother suffered burn injuries. His father was not hurt.
McNutt was an active member of the Carrollton High School community, participating in wrestling, track, and clay shooting teams.
Carrollton Exempted Village Schools released a statement to FOX 8’s Jack Shea:
“All of us at Carrollton Schools are saddened by the sudden passing of Aiden McNutt, a senior at CHS. He was a very outgoing student that was a member of the wrestling, track, and trap shooting teams. He was also in chamber chorus and academic challenge. He will certainly be missed by all that knew him, but we are all thankful for the great memories and stories that he left behind for us to cherish.
“The family asks that everyone please accept their request for privacy at this most difficult time and they are thankful for the prayers and support that they have received.”
A special fund for the McNutt family has been established through Huntington Bank. Checks or money can be mailed to: McNutt Family Donation Fund, Huntington Bank, 1045 Trump Road NW, Carrollton, OH 44615. They can also be dropped off in-person at the bank, said Thomas.
Investigations conducted by the State Fire Marshal’s Office determined that the fire originated from the wood burner. The intense blaze destroyed the family’s home, where they had lived for nearly 30 years, said Thomas.
“Due to the level of destruction” wrought by the fire, there is not enough evidence left to show how the fire actually started, Thomas said.
Authorities from the State Fire Marshal’s office and the local coroner were present at the scene to gather evidence and conduct further investigations. A coroner’s report is still pending, Thomas said.
It’s believed the home did not have working smoke detectors, according to Thomas.
“It’s a devastating time,” said Thomas, whose children played sports alongside Aiden. “For our guys, it’s a very tough day as well. A lot of us have children that age as well. It’s a hard thing for the whole community.”