CANTON, Ohio (WJW) – Duty calls at all times. Troops are deployed in the face of danger and in a pandemic.
That is the case Tuesday for 100 Ohio National Guard Troops.
Company B, 3rd Battalion, 238th Aviation Regiment located in North Canton held a deployment ceremony without the public, who is typically welcome to attend to support soldiers.
Because of concerns about COVID-19, the event instead was streamed by the Ohio National Guard. (Watch Dave Nethers’ report in the video, above.)
They’re headed out on a yearlong deployment in support of U.S. Central Command.
The command headquarters is at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, Florida.
Two-hundred more Ohio National Guard troops based out of Columbus will receive a virtual deployment Wednesday.
Here are the latest headlines from FOX 8
- March for Life: Thousands gather in DC gather with renewed hope about abortion laws
- Big tech: Next target of D.C. lawmakers
- Preteens could be vaccinated without parents’ consent under California bill
- Teen petitions NFL to move day Super Bowl is played
- Murder investigation at Kalahari Resort employee housing continues as family prays for answers