While flying in a reconnaissance mission over Laos in 1969, Captain Featherston’s plane went down.
His remains were never found.
Prior to that incident, Captain Featherston had been awarded the Silver Star Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Vietnam Serviced medal, the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award, the Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal, and the Purple Heart medal.
Those awards were recently found in a warehouse in Cleveland.
The family who found them contacted Ohio’s 14th Congressional Representative Dave Joyce who has worked to find the family.
Rep. Joyce met with the family of Captain Featherston at Veterans Memorial Park in Mentor Wednesday to return the medals.
Here are the latest headlines from FOX 8
- Senator, part-owner of Cleveland Indians says political opponent never made $1 billion offer to buy team
- Here’s the winning Powerball numbers
- Tip sent to Dog the Bounty Hunter leads Brian Laundrie search to Florida campsite: Reports
- Tuesday brings spotty showers
- Police rescue 6-foot snake from Lorain County roadway