Sheriff Alex Villanueva told KABC Radio he hoped James would double the reward of $175,000. It’s made up of $100,00 from the county and $75,000 from private individuals.
“I know you care about law enforcement. You expressed a very interesting statement about your perspective on race relations and on officer-involved shootings and the impact that it has on the African-American community,” said Villanueva.
Authorities were continuing the search for the gunman who opened fire on the deputies’ patrol car. The officers, a male and a female who graduated from the academy 14 months ago, are expected to recover.
Villanueva added he appreciates James’ thoughts on relations between Black people and the police but that, “we need to appreciate that respect for life goes across all professions.”
James has been quite vocal about issue of police relations with African Americans going as far as saying Black people are “terrified” over the issue of police misconduct.
To this point, Sheriff Villanueva is waiting to hear back from the Lakers star.
“Let’s see what he does. I’ll be very curious to see what his response is, if any,” he said.
Read more headlines on FOX8.com here:
- Giant jackpots: Mega Millions worth $850M; Powerball hits $730M
- Vice President-elect Kamala Harris to resign her Senate seat Monday
- Law firm giving away free divorce for Valentine’s Day
- Dancing trucker turns up at inauguration protest to promote peace
- Wind chills in the 20s; scattered snow showers stick around throughout the day