NEW FRANKLIN, Ohio (WJW) – The New Franklin Fire Department and the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are investigating the source of a large gas spill on Portage Lakes.
The fire department responded Monday around 7:30 p.m. near the State Route 619 Bridge near State Park drive.
According to a press release, firefighters could see and smell the gasoline.
The gasoline on the water stretched north into Coventry Township.
They put down containment booms to try and collect and contain the fuel.
Ohio EPA is overseeing the cleanup and monitoring the situation, according to a press release.
They say the source of the spill is unknown.
Click on the links below for the latest stories from FOX 8
- DC Comics changes Superman’s motto, replaces ‘the American way’
- Rain expected through Sunday morning, as fall-like weather finally arrives
- Teacher arrested after student takes marijuana gummies from prize box in classroom, sheriff says
- Famous haunted Car Wash returns to Northeast Ohio this weekend
- Meteorite crashes down on sleeping woman’s bed, missing by inches