This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AKRON, Ohio (WJW) — Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan and Police Chief Steve Mylett are actively reviewing the need for a curfew following the recent unrest in the city over the death of Jayland Walker.

During Thursday’s city of Akron’s press briefing, Horrigan and Mylett said they continue to monitor the situation while keeping in consideration the weekend activities which include Lock 3 concerts and sporting events. At this time those events have not been canceled.

A curfew in the city remains in place from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Jayland Walker was killed by Akron police on June 27. Police said they tried to stop him for a minor traffic violation. That led to a pursuit, in which they say Walker fired a shot from his car. Walker eventually got out and ran on foot. Akron police say they perceived a threat.

Eight police officers opened fire. Walker had more than 60 wounds to his body, the medical examiner reports. The Ohio State Bureau of Investigation is investigating. The officers are on routine administrative leave.

Summit County Medical Examiner Dr. Lisa Kohler, M.D. is expected to release the findings of Walker’s autopsy report Friday.

During Thursday’s press briefing, the city addressed the police department’s dashcam policy, which was removed roughly 7 years ago.

“For the old dashcams, pretty much you had to have a VCR in your car,” Horrigan said. “Obviously that technology is extremely outdated. We’ll continue to have that discussion to able to have dashcams. I know a number of communities have both body worn cameras and dashcams so that’ll be a discussion with city council and our police department.”

The police chief took the time Thursday to address concerns the department has regarding the safety for those on the force. Mylett said that every officer is wearing a badge, however, he has authorized them to take off their name tag because of the threats made to the officers and the bounties placed on their heads.

The names of the officers involved in the shooting have not been released pending direction from the attorney general’s office on when to release that information.

“Our officers have been threatened. Akron’s officers have been threatened,” he said. “I am not trying to hide anything but we – myself, the mayor, the deputy mayor – have a responsibility to provide a safe and secure place for all people in Akron. We also have that responsibility for our employees. Releasing their names will only increase the level of threats against them. I’m afraid someone might act on those threats.”

Mayor Dan Horrigan said city council is moving in the direction of proposing legislation that will create a police oversight board.

A funeral service for Jayland Walker was held at Akron Civic Theatre on Wednesday and was attended by several religious leaders, family members, and supporters.

On the day of Walker’s funeral, Akron City Council leaders called for a city-wide Day of Mourning due to recent violence. Following Walker’s death on June 27, 26-year-old Chelsey Jones was killed by celebratory gunfire in Akron on July 4. Friday night in Akron, 4-year-old Journey Tolbert and 40-year-old Johnny L. Gaiter were killed when someone fired shots into a crowd in the 700 block of Princeton St.

The city of Akron’s media briefings, that started on Monday, are held via a Zoom webinar on weekdays at 11 a.m. and will continue through Friday. Over the weekend, the city will decide on the frequency of the meetings going forward.

Horrigan and Mylett last week announced they would hold the briefings “in order to provide timely and consistent safety updates and to more quickly relay information to both the public and the press.”