This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AKRON, Ohio (WJW) – Akron is no longer under a curfew.

Mayor Dan Horrigan announced Tuesday afternoon that he intended to lift the curfew in place for the downtown area Wednesday morning.

The curfew went into effect at 9 p.m. Tuesday. He said if there were no public safety concerns throughout the night, the order would be rescinded at 6 a.m. Wednesday.

Police have not said if there were any incidents.

Wednesday morning the order was rescinded.

Mayor Horrigan released a statement on the decision.

“I want to again thank all those who have protested peacefully in our community over the last several days. Citizens have a right to make their voices heard, and I fully support that. The community respected the curfew which we put in place last night and did not further damage our downtown corridor. I expect tonight to be the same. In an effort to support all those who are peacefully protesting, I plan to lift the curfew in our downtown footprint starting tomorrow. As always, public safety remains our top priority and I urge our community to report any instances or threats of violence or destruction so that a small group of agitators does not cause further damage to our city and small businesses.”

Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan

The curfew was established after some protesters Sunday damaged businesses. However, the city marked a peaceful night Monday.

Police say they had no significant incidents and no arrests.

Jayland Walker

The protests were in response to the police killing of Jayland Walker on June 27. The 25-year-old was unarmed when officers shot him following a pursuit. Walker had more than 60 wounds to his body, according to the Summit County Medical Examiner’s office.

FOX 8 has learned that earlier the day before Walker was shot, an officer in New Franklin tried to pull him over for a broken taillight and no license plate light. The officer pursued the vehicle but terminated the chase when it reached city limits.

The Akron officers who tried to pull over Walker the following night were alerted about the chase and the vehicle.

Police say Walker didn’t stop when they activated lights and sirens. Walker fired a shot from the car, according to police. He jumped from the car and ran before eventually being shot by the officers.

As many as eight officers opened fire. A gun was found in Walker’s vehicle.

(Photo Credit: Akron Police Department)

Protests of his killing by police began on Thursday and have continued every day since. In response to the damage to businesses from some protesters, Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan implemented a curfew for areas of the city downtown that started Monday night.

The curfew will be in place every night from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. until the order is rescinded.

The mayor also declared a state of emergency.

50 people were arrested in connection with the protests.

The city also canceled its fireworks shows. The Akron RubberDucks also postponed its game against Altoona.

The Cleveland Guardians released a statement following the move.

“The Cleveland Guardians are saddened by the tragic shooting of Jayland Walker that occurred in Akron. As an organization, we are committed to uniting and inspiring our city and making a positive impact in our broader community. We urge peace and togetherness in support of those suffering in Akron,” it reads in part. “We stand with you, Akron.”