CLEVELAND (WJW)– The New York Yankees dominated the Cleveland Indians in the first of a best-of-three American League Wild Card Series. The final score was 12-3.
Shane Bieber, the favorite to win the Cy Young, had not allowed more than three runs in 12 starts this season. That changed Tuesday night.
He gave up a two-run homer to Aaron Judge in the first four pitches of the game. The Yankees picked up another run before the Indians could score to make it 3-0.
The Tribe got on the board against New York’s ace Geritt Cole in the third inning. Delino DeShields hit a single, then, thanks to his base running, was in scoring position for Jose Ramirez’s double.
Josh Naylor’s solo shot made it a 5-2 game in the fourth. But the Yankees kept scoring at a fast pace with another two-run homer in the fifth before Cleveland pulled Bieber.
In the seventh inning, Cleveland relievers Adam Cimber and Cameron Hill gave up four runs. The Yankees topped their victory with a Giancarlo Stanton home run.
Game 2 is Wednesday at 7:08 p.m.
The latest headlines from FOX8.com:
- Ohio shooting sends 4-year-old girl, woman to hospital
- Two Northeast Ohio bars cited for coronavirus health order violations
- This state will offer COVID vaccines in airports
- Ohio coronavirus numbers: 1,987 new cases, 83 hospitalizations reported
- Watch: USS Cod fires deck gun salute in honor of Prince Philip