We’ve learned the officer is expected to be ok, but was rushed to the hospital to be checked.
The condition of the suspect was not immediately known. However, the Willowick Police Chief did tell FOX 8 crews on scene that the supsect was taken to MetroHealth Medical Center.
The Chief says the incident started with officers seeing a car driving erratically. They followed it and witnessed the car strike another vehicle.
When they pulled the vehicle over, the suspect reportedly fired at the officer, hitting him in the vest.
The state Bureau of Criminal Investigation has been called in to assist with the investigation.
This is a developing story. FOX 8 will provide updates as they become available.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Schools struggle to stay open as quarantines sideline staff
- I-TEAM: COVID-19 survivors share stories of hope as they celebrate Thanksgiving
- Have Thanksgiving leftovers? USDA offers tips on how to safely store them for later
- 10-year-old boy sets up hot cocoa stand to help raise money for non-profit
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, essential workers among list of Time Person of the Year reader poll nominees