NEWBURGH HEIGHTS, Ohio (WJW) – The FOX 8 I-TEAM has learned police have a suspect in custody, who they believe shot and killed a woman he was in a car with early Saturday morning.
Newburgh Heights Police Chief John Majoy says the shooting happened around 1:05 a.m. on I-77 near Fleet. Majoy says his officers assisted Cleveland police.
Police say the 33-year-old victim was driving when she was shot. The victim’s children, a 12-year-old and an 8-month-old, were also reportedly in the vehicle at the time and not injured. The suspect fled but officers were able to apprehend him.
The woman was taken to the hospital where she later died from her injuries, Majoy said.
Police do not know the motive of the shooting and are continuing to investigate.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- 2 NE Ohio counties have highest COVID infection rate in state
- ‘Nothing we can do’: Some Erie County residents fed up with constant flooding after storms
- Tennessee to become first state to make public camping a felony
- Fairport Harbor police searching for man who attempted to shoot ex
- Birthday surprise: Community celebrates boy with autism