NEWBURGH HEIGHTS, Ohio (WJW) – The FOX 8 I-TEAM has learned police have a suspect in custody, who they believe shot and killed a woman he was in a car with early Saturday morning.
Newburgh Heights Police Chief John Majoy says the shooting happened around 1:05 a.m. on I-77 near Fleet. Majoy says his officers assisted Cleveland police.
Police say the 33-year-old victim was driving when she was shot. The victim’s children, a 12-year-old and an 8-month-old, were also reportedly in the vehicle at the time and not injured. The suspect fled but officers were able to apprehend him.
The woman was taken to the hospital where she later died from her injuries, Majoy said.
Police do not know the motive of the shooting and are continuing to investigate.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- Parma Rib ‘N Rock held at Normandy High School
- Police: Man suspected of stabbing elderly woman in her bed arrested, charged in Mansfield
- TSA screens over 2 million passengers in a single day for first time since March 2020
- Wayne Dawson foundation scholarship giveaway awards 5 students: ‘This means I can forward my success’
- Cleveland admits short staffing in EMS daily