CLEVELAND (WJW)– Authorities shot a fugitive at Steelyard Commons Friday afternoon.
It happened in the Walmart parking lot at about noon. The Cleveland Division of Police said the U.S. Marshals Service Violent Fugitive Task Force was attempting to take 31-year-old Dewayne Taylor into custody. Taylor, who was wanted for a parole violation on a burglary charge, pointed a firearm at officers and law enforcement fired shots, according to police.
Taylor was taken to MetroHealth Medical Center in with non-life threatening injuries. No one else was injured.
“Our guys did a great job in making sure there was no collateral damage,” said Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams.
A gun was recovered at the scene, Cleveland police said.
U.S. Marshal Pete Elliott said Taylor was wanted out of Pennsylvania and they previously located him to New Mexico, where he pulled a gun on agents.
“They took a fugitive off the streets who was willing to put lives at risk in broad daylight in one of the busiest shopping centers in the city of Cleveland. That’s a success for our collaboration,” said Cleveland Safety Director Karrie Howard.
READ MORE HEADLINES, BELOW:
- Police release surveillance video from fatal shooting at Ohio vigil
- Mystery solved: Officials identify object that caused Akron traffic jam
- Alma Wahlberg, mother of Mark, Donnie Wahlberg, dies at 78
- Pepsi looking to give away $10,000 in exclusive statewide NFL Draft contest
- Ohio River boat accident leaves 1 dead, 4 injured, 2 missing