CLEVELAND (WJW) — The FOX 8 I-TEAM has learned Cleveland police got into a shootout after they spotted a car that had been taken in a carjacking.
It happened before dawn on East 71 Street.
Police union president Jeff Follmer says the officers are OK. The suspect, who is believed to be 17 years old, was taken to the hospital and has reportedly been kept for a psych evaluation.
Follmer says the officers were recovering a vehicle that was taken in an aggravated robbery on the west side.
“The suspect got into the vehicle and ran head on into a police car,” Follmer said. “Suspect fled from the car at which time officers exchanged gun fire with the suspect. Suspect was arrested and a weapon was confiscated.”
Police later said that no one was struck by a bullet in the shootout. The matter remains under investigation.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- How to pay for pet care in an emergency
- Federal Court to hear challenge over Prince Harry’s US visa following drug use admission
- Suspects in vehicle break-ins elude police
- Why don’t tips show up on credit card charges?
- Christopher Nolan explains best ways to watch a movie, which theater seats to pick