CLEVELAND (WJW) — The FOX 8 I-TEAM has learned Cleveland police got into a shootout after they spotted a car that had been taken in a carjacking.
It happened before dawn on East 71 Street.
Police union president Jeff Follmer says the officers are OK. The suspect, who is believed to be 17 years old, was taken to the hospital and has reportedly been kept for a psych evaluation.
Follmer says the officers were recovering a vehicle that was taken in an aggravated robbery on the west side.
“The suspect got into the vehicle and ran head on into a police car,” Follmer said. “Suspect fled from the car at which time officers exchanged gun fire with the suspect. Suspect was arrested and a weapon was confiscated.”
Police later said that no one was struck by a bullet in the shootout. The matter remains under investigation.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- Allstate stops accepting new property insurance applications in California
- Video: Driver arrested after leading officers on high-speed chase through several cities
- Hot and dry stretch continues, but small rain chance for some
- Brecksville man celebrates life with nephew who became his living donor
- Massive brush fire burns at least 50 acres in Ashtabula County