Homeless man credited with saving 2 kids from Las Vegas fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Las Vegas firefighters are calling a homeless man a hero for saving two small children from a fire.

Fire officials say a 3-year-old girl and a 10-month-old boy were trapped in a burning apartment Friday morning.

[protected-iframe id=”87fabfca72a602f10005cbe61a8d0e62-28572381-80973872″ info=”http://news3lv.com/embed/news/local/two-children-escape-apartment-fire-near-bonanza-and-eastern?external-id=102666ab5f7f430a814ee8df18bff804″ width=”640″ height=”360″ frameborder=”0″]

Authorities say the children’s grandfather was cooking food and the stove caught fire. The grandfather escaped from a back bedroom but couldn’t get to the children.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue spokesman Tim Szymanski says that’s when 36-year-old Anival Angulo happened by and pried a screen door open. The man pulled both children out of the home.

Szymanski says the children could have been burned or killed if Angulo had not been there. The children were treated at a hospital for smoke inhalation.

Authorities say the damage to the home is estimated at $50,000.

Around the Buckeye State

More Ohio News
FOX 8 Cleveland Weather // Quick Links:

Hot on FOX 8

More Viral