CLEVELAND, Ohio (WJW) – Sokolowski’s University Inn is closed after 98 years in Cleveland.
“It is heartbreaking,” Mike Sokolowski told FOX 8 Wednesday.
The Sokolowskis even lived above the restaurant for many years.
Mike told FOX 8 it would have been difficult to operate with the guidelines in place today.
The family had planned to close in the future, but Mike says the pandemic sped up the process.
The property and building are up for sale. However, in a new statement to FOX 8, the family says there is a possibility of reopening if necessary.
“We firmly believe that there is going to be a significant amount of interest in the iconic location,” the family told Fox 8. “However, we are ready to reopen the business if a suitable deal and buyer are not forthcoming. We do feel that the time is right for our family to now enjoy the fruits of our labor. Our hope is that there is a buyer that will be eager to continue to use this landmark property in a form that does justice to its past.”
Here are the latest headlines from FOX 8
- Beachwood Place puts new security measure in place to detect weapons
- Judge orders attorneys, adviser to explain bailout bill work
- 3-year-old Cleveland boy shot in hand by stray bullet
- LIVE: Giuliani joins Pennsylvania GOP meeting on alleged election issues
- Big Game Bound Week 12: Lions’ Thanksgiving tradition & best NFL rivalries