After teen’s death, group calls for ban on powdered caffeine

Health
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CLEVELAND -- U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown is urging the FDA to ban the sale of powdered caffeine.

A single teaspoon of pure caffeine contains about the same amount as in 25 cups of coffee.

Logan Stiner, a senior at Keystone High School in LaGrange, died three days before his high school graduation after taking too much of the substance.

Before May 27, 2014 Kate and Dennis Stiner say they never heard of powdered caffeine. But since that time they don’t go a day without thinking of it.

“Our son died as a result of this drug,” Kate Stiner said.
Logan Stiner was a gifted student and talented athlete.

“We started doing a lot of research and became horrified when we learned how easily it was obtained for purchase in very large quantities,” Kate Stiner said.

Brown, along with Stiner’s parents and the director of the Central Ohio Poison Control Center, held a press conference on the dangers Thursday.

“Even a small amount of powder caffeine can kill,” Brown said, during the press conference.

The FDA mentions the dangers of powdered caffeine, but there are no regulations, warnings or protections, Brown says. Stiner’s parents say they want to change that.

“We know if it can kill someone like Logan, it can and it will kill again,” Kate Stiner said.

Click here to be redirected to LoganStiner.org.

Around the Buckeye State

More Ohio News

Stay informed: Download the FOX 8 App