COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio Gov. John Kasich has authorized personnel at Ohio National Guard recruitment centers to carry weapons following last week’s shooting in Tennessee that killed four Marines and a sailor.
The guard says Major General Mark Bartman, the Adjutant General of Ohio, granted the authorization as part of an update of policies and training requirements for the recruiting centers and a review of all security measures.
Bartman said in a statement provided to The Associated Press Wednesday that the governor made it clear action must be taken to protect Guard personnel actively engaged in public recruitment efforts.
Earlier this week the Guard temporarily moved personnel from four store front recruitment offices in Columbus, Dayton, Findlay and Painesville to nearby armories.