COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A 5-year-old girl lying in bed in a Columbus home was struck in the back and critically wounded by early morning gunfire, police said.
Columbus police said an unknown person fired multiple rounds into the residence on the city’s south side shortly after 4 a.m. Saturday.
The victim was struck once in the back and was taken to Nationwide Children’s Hospital in critical condition. Police said she was upgraded to stable condition and will recover from her injuries.
A round also struck a neighbor’s house across the street. No witnesses were reported.
Police opened a felonious assault case and asked anyone with information to call investigators.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Lucky Browns fans receive tickets to NFL Draft
- ‘Survivor’ star Sunday Burquest dies of cancer at 50
- Indians top Reds 6-3; Shane Bieber sets K record, fans 13
- ‘I love you for now, forever and for always’: Vanessa Bryant pays tribute to Kobe on 20th wedding anniversary
- Police release surveillance video from fatal shooting at Ohio vigil