The shooting happened just around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday in Stuart.
Martin County Sheriff William Snyder said the man called 911, telling dispatchers he accidentally shot his wife.
She was taken to a hospital where she died. The woman was six months pregnant, and doctors were able to save the baby, according to WPBF.
A two-year-old child also in the home was not injured.
The sheriff says the man gave detectives a detailed account of what happened.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Read more headlines on FOX8.com:
- ‘Nonsensical’: Cleveland Browns player criticizes NFL on vaccine wristbands
- Tipped-over truck on I-77 closes lanes
- Caught on camera: Tornado may have been seen in Northeast Ohio during today’s storms
- Biden calls for $100 payments to newly vaccinated Americans
- Biden announces federal worker vaccine mandate, calls on states to offer $100 for vaccinations