OAK BROOK, Ill. (WJW) — An Illinois family is mourning the loss of their little boy after he was killed in a freak accident at a wedding on Sept. 4.
According to the Oak Brook Police Department, the five-year-old was laying perpendicular across a granite table behind a sofa in an open area where other kids were sitting. When they got up to leave, he began sliding off the table and held the edge with his fingers to slow his descent backwards. As he dismounted, the table fell on his head.
His family immediately called 911 when they found him unresponsive.
An emergency medicine physician attending the wedding attempted to perform CPR. Sadly, the boy died at the hospital from his injuries.
A GoFundMe page identified the child as Luca Berlingerio. It has been set up to help raise money for his family.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- Cleveland Heights police searching for vehicle involved in fatal shooting of man
- Ramirez, Carrasco star as Indians top Tigers 7-4
- Outlook not improving for beleaguered US movie theaters
- Hog wild: U.S. and Texas have ‘out of control’ population of ‘super-pigs,’ expert says
- 10-year-old girl fatally shot while she and another child were playing with a gun, police say