It says the fire started in a smoking meat grinder inside a walk-in cooler.
The “small fire” was put out with a pump tank and they didn’t have to bring a hoseline into the building, officials say.
There are no reports of structural damage or injuries and they’ve since cleared the scene.
Fire investigators say they determined it to be accidental/electrical and it should not affect market operations upstairs.
The city of Cleveland also released a statement regarding the incident:
On Sunday, Aug. 29, equipment belonging to a vendor caught fire in a cooler in the basement of the West Side Market. The fire was contained to the cooler and burned out. After being inspected by a Fire Marshall, it is believed there was an electrical short in equipment that fell on paper/plastic, igniting the fire. There were no injuries and no structural damage.