DELAWARE, Ohio (WJW)– An Elyria man accidentally shot and killed his son while hunting in central Ohio earlier this month.
It happened just before 6 p.m. on Dec. 2 on Pollock Road in Delaware. The Delaware County Sheriff’s Office said the 63-year-old father had been hunting with friends and his son, 28-year-old Andrew Smith, just arrived when the shooting occurred.
The investigation is ongoing, but at this time, the sheriff’s office is not filing charges.
Smith was a firefighter with the Oberlin Fire Department from October 2018 to April 2019.
“AJ was a firefighter that every department would hope to hire. He was a gifted athlete, full of ambition with great potential. Our condolences goes out to his family and friends,” the department said.
According to the sheriff’s office, Smith, an Elyria native, was living in Columbus.
The latest headlines from FOX8.com:
- Here’s how far we are from COVID-19 herd immunity, Cleveland Clinic reports
- Ohio board agrees to more than double medical pot dispensaries in state
- Biden administration weighing how to respond after verdict in Chauvin trial
- Queen Elizabeth enters ‘twilight’ of reign after farewell to Philip
- ODOT employee jumps into truck’s cab to avoid being hit by driver in Tuscarawas County