DOVER, Ohio -- A safety advisory was canceled after a reactor scare at a local chemical plant.
Around 9:20 a.m. on Monday, a vapor cloud was spotted outside the Dover Chemical Corporation on Davis Road NW.
Plant officials said a reactor overheated, causing vapors to release into the air.
At least two people who inhaled the vapors while they were driving down I-77 were treated at area hospitals for respiratory-related issues. Their names and conditions have not been released.
"The reaction that occurred (Monday) had to do with dipropylene glycol, which is sort of like antifreeze, and they don't know the cause of the incident but it did heat up and it expelled a vapor cloud into the atmosphere," said Dover Mayor Richard Homrighawsen. "They produce chemicals that produce a wide variety of products, they make food grade plastic additives. You go to a grocery store and the cellophane, for lack of a better term, that wraps the food that you eat has their additive in it."
Dover Chemical Corporation President Dwain Colvin said, "We have a vent system in the plant. The off-gas came from the gas system. when you design a chemical reactor system like this, you allow for these types of things."
Evacuations were not issued but about 100 residents near the plant received a reverse 911 call informing them to stay indoors with the windows shut and the air conditioning turned off.
A portion of I-77 was shut down for several hours.
By Monday afternoon, plant officials determined it was safe for neighbors to return.
The plant is scheduled to reopen Tuesday morning.
"We're very conscientious of the people who work on this site, we're very conscientious of the people who work outside the site so those are two primary concerns. I think we dealt with that very well," said Colvin.