Instead, the retailers will “request” that customers wear them.
Nearly two weeks ago, the retailers’ policies stated shoppers, vendors and employees must wear face masks, but now they say they will require masks only if they are mandated by state or local rules.
The stores’ parent company hasn’t said why the change was made.
Southeastern Grocers, the parent company of the Winn-Dixie grocery store chain, has also changed course, now saying it will require all customers to wear masks starting July 27. The mandate reverses a mask policy it announced last week of only “encouraging” the use of masks.
The announcement came shortly after President Donald Trump called mask-wearing “patriotic” in a tweet, but the company denied it had anything to do with that.
Follow FOX8.com’s latest posts, below:
- Don’t land on Santa’s naughty list: FAA says not to aim holiday laser lights at the sky
- Keith Urban announces summer stop at Blossom
- How to give your home a ‘vintage’ flair this holiday season
- Lockdown protocols, other measures ‘saved lives’ in Michigan school shooting: sheriff
- Photos released of possible suspects in armed carjacking