According to FOX Carolina, the monument is located at Springwood Cemetery in Greenville.
It was reportedly erected in 1891 and modeled after a local Confederate soldier named James Lignon.
Protesters sporting Black Lives Matter signs stood in front of the statue, demanding it be moved.
Similarly, dozens in favor of keeping the monument showed up to the demonstration as well.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Ohio Investigative Unit cites six businesses for violating coronavirus health orders
- Cleveland police: Woman shot, killed after verbal altercation
- DC shooting leaves 1 dead, at least 20 injured including off-duty police officer
- Ohio coronavirus cases climb over 100,000, health department confirms
- ‘It’s going to work’: DeWine says he is confident in mail-in voting for presidential election