According to FOX Carolina, the monument is located at Springwood Cemetery in Greenville.
It was reportedly erected in 1891 and modeled after a local Confederate soldier named James Lignon.
Protesters sporting Black Lives Matter signs stood in front of the statue, demanding it be moved.
Similarly, dozens in favor of keeping the monument showed up to the demonstration as well.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- Winds chills in the teens overnight
- Heavy snow damages outdoor seating area at Little Italy restaurant
- Solon tries to provide help during power outages, bitter cold and pandemic
- U.S. breaks COVID-19 hospitalization record with over 100,000 patients
- City of Cleveland reports 269 more confirmed COVID-19 cases