Lee said in a statement that she tested negative for the disease caused by the coronavirus on Sunday and then traveled to see her mother in Canton, Ohio on Monday. She said she took precautions including wearing a mask and social distancing.
Lee’s mother was in hospice care, and Joan Kelley died Tuesday night after months of deteriorating health.
Lee said she was tested again Wednesday and received a positive result. She has no symptoms and plans to participate in remote memorial services for her mother and do her congressional work remotely while isolating.
Lee is a Democrat and won reelection to a second term representing Nevada’s 3rd Congressional District on Nov. 3.
“This has been an extremely difficult couple of days for my family,” Lee said in her statement. “I’m going to share more in the coming days about my mom and the pivotal role she played in shaping my life and the lives of my siblings.”
Here are the latest headlines from FOX 8
- Senate confirms Antony Blinken as 71st secretary of state
- Miley Cyrus to play Super Bowl concert for vaccinated frontline workers
- Kellyanne Conway accused of tweeting topless photo of 16-year-old daughter
- WATCH: Dashcam video of police chase involving Cleveland mayor’s grandson
- Polk County ‘Paramedic of the Year’ arrested in theft of COVID vaccines