Clarification and correction on May 1, 2020: The events canceled through Sept. 7 only pertain to groups of more than 250 people; also, the events were canceled due to guidance from Summit County Public Health, not the state. We apologize for the error.
SUMMIT COUNTY, Ohio (WJW) – Summit Metro Parks says it has canceled all in-person events for more than 250 people through September 7, in following guidance from Summit County Public Health.
According to a press release, they are exploring virtual options for The Mother’s Day 5K and other events.
The swim lakes will be closed for the 2020 season.
Public buildings and facilities will be closed through at least May 31.
**See a report on other closures in the video, above**
“We are grateful to be available to our community during this challenging and uncertain time,” said Executive Director Lisa King. “We want to thank the public for their assistance in keeping our parks and trails open over the past several weeks and ask them to continue to follow advice for safe park usage.”
Facilities currently closed for public safety include:
- A. Seiberling Nature Realm Visitors Center (1828 Smith Rd., Akron)
- Liberty Park Nature Center (9999 Liberty Rd., Twinsburg)
- Summit Lake Nature Center (390 W. Crosier St., Akron)
- Administrative Offices Lobby (975 Treaty Line Rd., Akron)
- Volunteer Center (located at the Service Center on Sand Run Pkwy.)
- All rentable lodges and shelters
- Playgrounds and nature play areas, exercise equipment, camping, boat rentals, picnic tables, benches, fishing docks and observation decks
- Swim lakes
- Some restrooms
- Drinking fountains
- Sand Run Parkway: closed to vehicles between Sand Run Rd. and the ford to allow additional safe distancing for pedestrians on the Jogging Trail
- Rolling parking limitations at busy locations to promote safe distancing
With new safety procedures in place, Summit Metro Parks has re-opened archery ranges and community gardening.
Summit Metro Parks won’t accept new lodge, shelter, or camping reservations.
Special use permit application approvals have been placed on hold through December 31.
Those with existing reservations through December 31 may contact the park district to reschedule or receive a refund.