*Watch Gov. DeWine’s latest update on the pandemic above.*
There have been 166,102 total confirmed and probable cases of COVID-19 and 4,994 deaths in the state since the pandemic began. It’s presumed that 141,642 have recovered.
In the last 24 hours, 1,840 cases were reported, which is the highest count on record, along with 11 additional deaths.
Governor DeWine expressed concern about the recent spike in cases during his coronavirus briefing on Thursday.
He attributes the rise to lax social distancing, not enough people wearing masks and refusal to follow quarantine and isolation guidelines.
“There’s also increased spread among families and households in churches and after-school activities and sports. We’ve seen these gatherings many times, they’re turning into outbreaks,” said Gov. DeWine.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- ‘We just need to be us’: Browns ready for Sunday matchup against Kansas City
- Troopers investigating Ohio crash that killed 14-year-old
- Teen returns home after Christmas Eve heart transplant
- Dr. Dre now back home after reported brain aneurysm treatment
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration