He was joined by Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton and Lt. Governor Jon Husted.
As of today, ODH says there are 37,758 total cases of COVID-19 and 2,355 deaths.
DeWine also said in two weeks, amusement parks, water parks, casinos and racinos can reopen. The same goes for outdoor theaters once they submit safety plans.
On June 10, the following entertainment venues can reopen if they follow the Retail, Consumer, Service & Entertainment Guidelines and other additional guidance:
- Art galleries
- Country clubs
- Ice skating rinks
- Indoor family entertainment centers
- Indoor sports facilities
- Laser tag facilities
- Movie theaters (indoor)
- Playgrounds (outdoor)
- Public recreation centers
- Roller skating rinks
- Social clubs
- Trampoline parks
DeWine adds that day camps and residential camps may open at any time
LIVE UPDATES FROM THE PRESS CONFERENCE:
- Governor DeWine is at the podium.
- He is currently discussing protests here in Ohio.
- He mentioned an Ohio National Guard member who was removed from a mission in Washington DC after the FBI discovered information the individual had posted on the internet about white supremacist ideology.
- He said the Ohio National Guard and Ohio Department of Public Safety are cooperating fully with the FBI in its investigation. The individual has been suspended from all missions at this time.
- He is now discussing expanded testing and how the tests will be distributed.
- General Harris from the Ohio National Guard is now talking about how they are going to help with testing in nursing homes.
- He said they are moving rapidly to continue testing and help save the vulnerable population here in Ohio.
- Gov. DeWine is addressing the latest round of businesses which he announced on Thursday could reopen. For example, zoos.
- He said they are working on the few businesses that have not been allowed to reopen yet.
- He said they wanted to layer the plan, do it in phases, reserve those things that had more people and were higher risk. He said layering and putting this over a period time was done because they didn’t know what the results would be.
- He said they want to be able to monitor results. They look at new data each day.
- He said their goal is to make each business, each activity, each venue they’ve opened up as safe as it can be made.
- He is planning to announce more reopenings.
- He wants to talk about reopening Ohio with no requirements, no best practices or specifications as some have asked.
- “This is a time in our history when caution and good judgement are required of all Ohioans,” he said.
- Two weeks from today, the casinos, racinos, amusement parks, water parks will be able to reopen. Outdoor theaters can reopen as well once they submit a plan.
- Lt. Jon Husted is now discussing the reopenings. He says they all have plans submitted to the state and want to make sure they are keeping their guests safe.
- He is now talking about the importance of buying Ohio as the state reopens. “We are all in this together,” he said.
- Dr. Acton is providing an update on coronavirus numbers.
- Media now asking questions.