The governor said Franklin County, which houses the capital city of Columbus, is now at the purple level, meaning there is severe exposure and spread of COVID-19.
The Ohio Public Health Advisory System determines the exposure and spread of the virus in all of Ohio’s 88 counties and assigns a color. Yellow is the least severe and purple is the most.
Last week the Ohio Department of Health warned that Franklin County was at risk of moving from red to purple. A county had not been on that watch list since January.
The Ohio Public Health Advisory System is based on the following factors: new cases per capita, sustained increase in new cases, proportion of cases that are not in congregate settings, sustained increase in COVID-19-related emergency room visits, sustained increase in COVID-19 outpatient visits including telehealth, sustained increase in COVID-19 hospital admissions and intensive care unit occupancy.
- Level 1 (Yellow): Active exposure and spread.
- Conduct a daily health/symptom self-evaluation and stay at home if symptomatic.
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet from non-household members.
- Wear face coverings in public especially when social distancing is difficult to maintain.
- Increase caution when interacting with others not practicing social distancing or wearing face covers.
- Avoid traveling to high-risk areas.
- Follow good hygiene standards.
- Level 2 (Orange): Increased exposure and spread. Exercise high degree of caution.
- Same guidelines as in Level 1.
- Avoid contact with anyone who is considered high-risk.
- High-risk individuals should take extra care to follow precautions.
- Decrease in-person interactions outside household.
- Seek medical care as needed, but limit or avoid unnecessary visits to hospitals, nursing homes and residential care facilities to see others as much as possible.
- Level 3 (Red): Very high exposure and spread. Limit activities as much as possible.
- Same guidelines as in Levels 1 and 2.
- Decrease in-person interactions with others.
- Consider necessary travel only.
- Limit attending gatherings of any number.
- Level 4 (Purple): Severe exposure and spread. Only leave home for supplies and services.
- Same guidelines as in Level 1 to 3.
- Stay at home/necessary travel only.