After weeks of widespread business closures, the state of Ohio began reopening many industries in May. With the virus showing no signs of letting up, DeWine created new restrictions.
In late July, he issued a statewide mask mandate for those 10 and older in public places and travel advisories for states with high positivity rates of COVID-19.
On Tuesday, he announced face coverings will also be required when students in grades K-12 return to school this fall.
As of Aug. 5, there have been 96,305 total confirmed and probable cases of coronavirus in the state, resulting in 3,596 losing their lives, according to the Ohio Department of Health. It’s presumed that 72,950 people have recovered.
Timeline of state orders and other notable events in Ohio during the coronavirus pandemic:
The latest headlines from FOX8.com:
- Pfizer submits report on COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness in kids 5 to 11
- Texas inmate faces execution for murdering two brothers
- Funeral Mass to be held for Cleveland Bishop Anthony Pilla
- Voices of Unity: ‘Towards Employment’
- 6-year-old who died on Colorado rollercoaster wasn’t wearing a seatbelt: Report