Canadian Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Bill Blair confirmed the extension on Twitter Monday.
He says decisions about travel will continue to be based on the best public health advice available to keep citizens safe.
The restrictions were announced on March 18 and have been extended each month since.
Essential cross-border workers like healthcare professionals, airline crews and truck drivers are still permitted to cross. Truck drivers are critical as they move food and medical goods in both directions. Much of Canada’s food supply comes from or via the U.S.
Americans who are returning to the U.S. and Canadians who are returning to Canada are also exempted from the border closure.
GET THE LATEST HEADLINES FROM FOX8.COM:
- SmileDirectClub ends operations ‘effective immediately,’ but what about the customers?
- ‘Love Story’ actor Ryan O’Neal dead at 82
- Can you answer these US immigration test questions?
- ‘Unbelievable’: Community surprises elderly man by lighting 40-foot tree in his yard
- WATCH: I-Team tracks down new mayor charged in bar fight