Johnson says the new measures will begin Thursday and last until Dec. 2. Non-essential shops must close and people can only leave home for a short list of reasons.
Unlike the U.K.’s first lockdown, schools, universities and manufacturing businesses will stay open.
The U.K. reported more than 21,900 new coronavirus cases on Saturday, bringing the country’s total to more than 1 million. Britain has reported 46,665 deaths, the fifth-highest death toll in the world.
Get the latest headlines on FOX8.com below:
- Warm, muggy weekend continues with chance of Sunday showers
- Indians rally in 9th, top Mariners on throwing error in 10th
- VIDEO: Man proposes to girlfriend among prehistoric creatures at ‘Dino Stroll’ event
- Payment dates released for advanced child tax credit
- Police search for woman allegedly involved in attempted theft at Walmart in Madison Township