Akron Public Schools moves up return to in-person instruction

Coronavirus

AKRON (WJW)– The Akron Public Schools held a virtual meeting Monday evening and part of the agenda was the district’s plan for returning to in-person instruction.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine gave districts across the state access to COVID-19 vaccines with a stipulation that they agree to reopen schools by March 1. Akron was planning on opening its buildings by March 22, but the governor made it clear that was not acceptable.

Kindergarten through second grade and those with severe learning disabilities will return March 8. Grades 3-12 will be back in school on March 15.

Superintendent David James said about 69 percent of parents want full-time in-person learning and the remaining 31 percent want full-time remote, according to a survey.

James said he does not know what graduation and prom will look like in the spring.

FOX 8 Cleveland Weather // Quick Links:

Hot on FOX 8

More Viral

continue reading override