AKRON (WJW) — The Akron Public Schools Board of Education met Monday night to decide the best dates for students to return to learning this fall.
The board had already determined earlier this summer that all classroom learning would begin online due to coronavirus concerns, but had not decided if school would begin on time in August.
The new start dates are as follows:
- Aug. 24 – First Day for Teachers
- Sept. 9 – First Day for Grades 8-9, 12
- Sept. 10 – First Day for Grades 2-4, 10
- Sept. 11 – First Day for Grades 5-7, 11
- Sept. 14 – First Day for Grades Pre-K, K-1
All school athletics and extracurricular activities are now delayed until further notice. That includes practices, according to an updated press release sent out Tuesday morning.
A release sent Monday evening originally said the delay would be until Oct. 1.
Get the latest headlines on FOX8.com below:
- Indians, Cavs and Browns host town hall to discuss social issues in Northeast Ohio
- Coronavirus numbers: Cleveland notified of 66 more confirmed cases
- Sunny skies return Friday with temps in the 50s for the weekend
- 81-year-old ‘Fitness Gran’ takes over TikTok with dance, exercise challenges
- Caught on camera: Workers damage family’s brand new fridge during delivery