COPLEY, Ohio (WJW) — Copley police are investigating after a man claims he killed his 73-year-old mother on Christmas Eve.
According to the department, Nicholas Sibbio walked into the lobby around 2:15 p.m. and told officers he wanted to turn himself in for the murder of his mother, Nancy Sibbio.
He said they got into an argument at their home on Centerview Drive that same day. He said he physically assaulted her, causing her death.
Police said Sibbio waited several hours before coming to the police station.
Officers responded to the home and found Nancy Sibbio dead.
“Initial observations and evidence at the scene support the statements made by Nicholas Sibbio. Nancy appeared to have been deceased for an extended period of time,” Chief Michael Mier said in a press release.
Sibbio has been charged with murder and is being held in Summit County Jail.
“The general public was never in any danger and there is no reason for any residents of that neighborhood to be fearful,” the chief noted.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- Ukraine money likely to be delayed until January, Senate Republican says
- Salvation Army in Greater Cleveland reports more families needing Christmas help
- What Coast Guard staffing shortages mean for emergency response on Lake Erie
- New video: Moments before deadly wrong-way crash on I-90
- Giuliani ‘hijacked’ lives of two Georgia election workers, lawyer argues