CLEVELAND, Ohio -- People throughout Northeast Ohio joined in the outcry in the Trayvon Martin case.
Fox 8 joined three young women Wednesday as they watched a special prosecutor announce a second-degree murder charge against George Zimmerman. He's the Florida neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed an unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in February, sparking national outrage.
"I think the second-degree murder charge is a very safe bet because obviously they cannot prove the premeditation," said Jessica Fain.
"The ball was dropped at one place, but there really needs to be an honest conversation about race, class and gender in this country," said Eris Dyson.
Last month, Eris Dyson and Christina Richardson organized a rally and march in Public Square downtown, demanding justice for Trayvon. They believe demonstrations like theirs held around the country played a role in bringing the charges.
"In the beginning of her speech, she says the media did not cause this, the news did not cause this...I feel like there was so much pressure, all of the rallies, all of the protests, all of the petitions that were signed, all of the calls that were called in, I feel like that's why they were forced to do it," said Christina Richardson.
"This is overdue, and good, that's great news, very happy," said Angela Shuckahosee.
People Fox 8 News talked to in Cleveland agree charges against Zimmerman needed to be filed.
"Nothing will bring Trayvon back, but we certainly hope that justice prevails and that Mr. Zimmerman is entitled to a fair trial, but the point is he should be brought to trial," said one Cleveland attorney.
"I think that they definitely have to do due process and find out, and I think the outcome is not gonna be good for him,” said Dr. Keith Unger.
"Justice has to be served, and it certainly didn't seem like it has been so far, and that's not saying he's guilty, it's just saying that it appeared to be very incomplete as an investigation," said Brian Tucker.