CLEVELAND (WJW) — The Cleveland Division of Police on Friday announced the passing of one of its officers.
Cleveland police said Lieutenant Zina M. Martinez passed away suddenly on November 18.
Lieutenant Martinez began her career with the Cleveland Division of Police in 1996, and was promoted to Sergeant in 2009. In 2019, Martinez was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant; police said she served as the Division’s first and only Hispanic female Lieutenant.
Martinez also served in the United States Army.
Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson has asked that flags at all city buildings be lowered until November 28 in her honor.
Read more about the life of Lieutenant Zina M. Martinez, here.
Read more headlines on FOX8.com:
- Elyria police officer under investigation for use of force following controversial arrest
- Northeast Ohio Senate candidate draws attention for trying to buy Cleveland Indians
- Is it safe to get the COVID-19 and flu vaccine at the same time?
- ‘The Conjuring’ house in Rhode Island is up for sale
- The weekend is approaching — Here’s what to expect