*Watch our report above on the latest in the investigation of his death*
The team announced on Twitter they will fly the flag at half staff tonight and have a moment of silence in his honor.
“We are deeply saddened by the passing of Det. Skernivitz, as he spent many years at Progressive Field keeping fans safe.”
Detective Skernivitz, 53, had been with the Cleveland Division of Police for 25 years.
His car was shot multiple times at W. 65th and Storer around 10 p.m. Thursday. Another person was also killed. No information on that individual has yet been released.
Sources told the I-Team three people have been arrested in connection to the shooting.
Get the latest headlines from FOX8.com below:
- New details released about what caused massive factory fire in Malvern
- Second stimulus checks: How SCOTUS battle could derail $1,200 direct payments
- 903 coronavirus cases, 52 deaths reported in Ohio in last 24 hours
- Happiness class — free online — is most popular at Yale, especially during pandemic
- 43 arrested in Ohio drug trafficking bust