CLEVELAND – St. John’s Episcopal Church was honored Saturday for its role in the Underground Railroad.
The church was known as “Station Hope” and is being honored as the city’s first Ohio Underground Railroad Marker.
The church was built between 1836 and 1838 as a last stop before fleeing to Canada across Lake Erie.
This was the second year for the “Station Hope” event and more than 2,000 people attended last year.
The event featured art organizations and 135 artists from across Northeast Ohio.
Congressmen Louis Stokes and Councilman Joe Cimperman also attended.