CLEVELAND -- A project two-and-a-half-years in the making will come to fruition on Monday as Cleveland's Horseshoe Casino opens its doors to the public for the first time.
The $350 million project will be unveiled to northeast Ohio at a grand opening on Monday, May 14, 2012 at 9:30 p.m.
But the new facility brings a new set of rules with it. Here's what you need to know and a map of where to go when things kick off Monday night.
According to Horseshoe officials, the public and priority wristband holders may begin to line up at 5:00 p.m. EST on Monday evening.
The casino will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Here are the casino guest rules:
- All guests must be 21 or older
- Must have a valid ID (drivers license, government issued ID or passport)
- No weapons
- No outside alcohol
- Bags will be inspected
- No smoking
- State law prohibits the casino from providing complimentary alcoholic beverages
Here are the public parking options:
- Self-parking will be available for casino guests at the casino’s dedicated parking structure. The Collection Auto Group Centre entrance is located off of Ontario Street. The surface parking lot is located at W 3rd St. & Superior Ave.
- Parking is free for casino guests who are Total Rewards members and play for 30 minutes and earn 15 credits. Membership is free at www.totalrewards.com . Event rate applies to non-gaming customers.
Here are the plans for Public Square on Sunday, May 13, leading up to the opening:
- S. Roadway closed between W. Superior Ave. & Ontario St. in front of Tower City
- Public Square privatized (Re-opens at 6 a.m. Tues., May 15)
- Bike rack set up around Higbee Building for public queuing
RTA has released the following information about reroutes:
"From 6:00 am Monday, May 14, 2012 until 6:00am Tuesday, May 15, 2012, due to the Grand Opening of the Horseshoe Casino, South Roadway (Terminal Loop) and the curb lane of Ontario between Superior and Prospect will be closed."
Here are the plans for The Horseshoe Casino on Opening Night:
- 5:00 p.m. Wristband and general public begin queue on Prospect begins
- 7:30 p.m. VIP Party Begins
- 8:30 p.m. Opening remarks on Public Square in front of Higbee; Ribbon cutting
- 9:30 p.m. Casino opens to public; priority wristband guests enter first
- 11:30 p.m. VIP party concludes
Here are the casino details for once you get inside:
- Nearly 300,000 square feet
- 2,100 slot machines
- Table games
- A World Series of Poker room
- Lounge on upper floor for high rollers
- Approximately 1,600 employees
Here is a map of the outside of the casino on opening night: